How can I reset my RX-8's ECU?
The easy way is to disconnect your car battery and stomp on the brake peddle a few times. Then leave it for a few minutes.
The problem with this method is that some profiles are stored in RAM that cannot be cleared by disconnecting the battery.
Each of the reset methods described here serve a different purpose:
Clearing the eccentric shaft plate profile (AKA brake stomp reset):
1. Turn ignition switch to �ON� position, but do not start engine.
2. Pump the brake pedal at least 20 times within 8 seconds after the ignition switch is turned ON.
What it does:
The RX8 is equipped with a unique system that memorizes the tooth pattern or �profile� of the eccentric shaft position plate. The eccentric shaft plate profile is stored in an area of the PCM with non-volatile RAM (NVRAM) which cannot be cleared by disconnecting the vehicle�s battery, or clearing keep alive memory (KAM). If the eccentric shaft plate profile is not cleared after certain repairs, MIL illumination and misfire DTCs may occur.
What it really does: Reset profiles stored in NVRAM
KAM reset (AKA test reset)
1. Press and hold the odometer reset button.
2. While pressing the odometer reset button, turn ignition switch to �ON� position, but do not start engine.
3. You will now see "TEST" written in the odometer area of your dash.
4. Let go of the reset button, then then the ignition switch to "OFF"
5. Repeat steps 1-4 an additional time.
What this does: Reset everything besides NVRAM profiles.
Neither of these reset procedures will remove your radio presets. However the battery disconnect will.